Meeting Location 2010 Next Meeting March 3, 2011 (6:30 – 8:00 PM)Helene S. Mills Multipurpose Facility
515 John Wesley Dobbs Avenue
Atlanta, Georgia 30312
404‐523‐3353/ 404‐224‐1340, fax
The new COPS unit has been deployed and is now working in Zone 5. The Unit is headed by Lt. Brent Schierbaum, who has worked in Zone 5 in our burglary unit. You will want to call the COPS unit for proactive issues such as the list below.
- Visit your community ‐ monitor your issues or situations and draw out a plan.
- Maintain programs ‐ developed in your community.
- Security checks ‐ do a review of your home or building and offer recommendations.
- Vacant and over grown lots – they will work along with code enforcement.
- Quality of life issues – call 911 for crimes in process.
- Graffiti – these issues is still under discussion. Who are the Graffiti Task Force and what is their mission.
- Street lights issues at night – walk with you to determine your safety issue. Does it make your neighborhood unsafe?
Action required from your neighborhood Leaders:
- Put together a list of issues for the COPS unit.
- These issues should focus on the problems that are most urgent.
- Send to Public Safety Chair so that may be passed on to Lt. Brent Schierbaum and his team.
Reporting back to NPUM Public Safety Committee:
- We will send the issues to the COPS unit and they will work them similar to how APS is working our issues today.
- A COPs team member will report back to the Public Safety Committee on their progress.
The COPS unit is not designed to replace your calls to 911. Some of our Zone 5 COPS officers:
- Officer Johnson ‐ email@example.com
- Officer Charles – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Officer Hilton – email@example.com
- Sgt. Pulliam – firstname.lastname@example.org
MARTA Police Update. There has been an increase in:
- Staffing at the 5 Points MARTA station.
- Snatch and grab of electronic equipment, i.e. phones, iPad, eReaders.
- Part 1 crimes on the MARTA trains.
- Visibility of MARTA Police on trains and in the stations.
- In vehicle larceny at Underground parking.
Atlanta Police Update:
- Central Atlanta Progress is building a kiosk at Barbara Asher Square Downtown (Broad Street.)
- The Kiosk will be manned by APD and MARTA Police 24/7.
- Crime in Zone 5 is being impacted by CVS at Barbara Asher Square. The Pubic Safety Committee will reach out to them to start a dialogue.
- Harlem Nights at 201 Courtland St is operating currently on a temporary license until March.
- New owner at 82 Peachtree. Neighborhood leaders and police at opening a dialogue.
- 75% of crimes in Zone 5 are from Larceny from Autos. We have to keep up and pass the word about the clean car campaign.
- Zone 5 has more directed patrols than other Zone. Zone 5 has an average of 2500 per month compared to about 600 for other Zones.
Categories: Public Safety