You should Public Safety Jan 2012 News for important information regarding public safety and the new Atlanta Police Department beat re-design.
The city is currently experiencing an increase in robberies. Many of these involve the theft of IPhones. Zone 5 would like to remind everyone to be aware of your surroundings and “If you see something, Say something” Please call 911 and report any suspicious activity.
During the past week Zone 5 Investigations Unit conducted an area canvas in the Old Fourth Ward and developed some positive information pertaining to robberies in this area. In addition, The Thunder Detail operated in the Boulevard corridor and the Castleberry Hill community Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights’.
One subject was arrested for armed robbery, which brings the total number to 48 year to date. For the week of Nov 13 – 16, 2011 Zone 5 officers made 176 physical arrests. Two subjects were arrested for entering auto, which brings the total number to 57 year to date
One subject was arrested for burglary, which brings the total number to 31 year to date. These individuals are all repeat offenders.
An arrest was made of a suspect for the homicide on 103 Fort St that occurred on September 20, 2011.
Please continue to support your neighbor associations and your NPU’s. Please support the Atlanta Police Departments Clean Car Campaign by not leaving valuables in your vehicle.
An involved community is a safer community
Zone 5 Commander
Some highlights from the Public Safety Committee
- Code Enforcement is now under the Atlanta Police Department and part of COPs.
- August 2, 2011 is National Night Out from 6PM to 9PM.
- The 911 Communication Priorities are included in the newsletter.
- Still issues happening at Northside Dr at the Texaco.
- Investigation continues on Fort Street. Drug arrest has been made recently.
- Break‐in at Sole Downtown at 123 Luckie. Some of the merchandise has been returned to the owner. This was a smash and grab.
- There was not a homicide at Renaissance Park.
- There was not a shooting at Peachtree and Trinity. The crime happen somewhere else and the person was dropped at this location.
- Club Inferno was cited for having a Rave Party. The club didn’t have a valid business license. License and permits will continue to be diligent on this location.
- 4% increase in crime for MARTA this year. The increase revolves around larceny and crimes against persons.
Meeting Location 2010 Next Meeting March 3, 2011 (6:30 – 8:00 PM)Helene S. Mills Multipurpose Facility
515 John Wesley Dobbs Avenue
Atlanta, Georgia 30312
404‐523‐3353/ 404‐224‐1340, fax
The new COPS unit has been deployed and is now working in Zone 5. The Unit is headed by Lt. Brent Schierbaum, who has worked in Zone 5 in our burglary unit. You will want to call the COPS unit for proactive issues such as the list below.
- Visit your community ‐ monitor your issues or situations and draw out a plan.
- Maintain programs ‐ developed in your community.
- Security checks ‐ do a review of your home or building and offer recommendations.
- Vacant and over grown lots – they will work along with code enforcement.
- Quality of life issues – call 911 for crimes in process.
- Graffiti – these issues is still under discussion. Who are the Graffiti Task Force and what is their mission.
- Street lights issues at night – walk with you to determine your safety issue. Does it make your neighborhood unsafe?
Action required from your neighborhood Leaders:
- Put together a list of issues for the COPS unit.
- These issues should focus on the problems that are most urgent.
- Send to Public Safety Chair so that may be passed on to Lt. Brent Schierbaum and his team.
Reporting back to NPUM Public Safety Committee:
- We will send the issues to the COPS unit and they will work them similar to how APS is working our issues today.
- A COPs team member will report back to the Public Safety Committee on their progress.
The COPS unit is not designed to replace your calls to 911. Some of our Zone 5 COPS officers:
- Officer Johnson ‐ email@example.com
- Officer Charles – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Officer Hilton – email@example.com
- Sgt. Pulliam – firstname.lastname@example.org
MARTA Police Update. There has been an increase in:
- Staffing at the 5 Points MARTA station.
- Snatch and grab of electronic equipment, i.e. phones, iPad, eReaders.
- Part 1 crimes on the MARTA trains.
- Visibility of MARTA Police on trains and in the stations.
- In vehicle larceny at Underground parking.
Atlanta Police Update:
- Central Atlanta Progress is building a kiosk at Barbara Asher Square Downtown (Broad Street.)
- The Kiosk will be manned by APD and MARTA Police 24/7.
- Crime in Zone 5 is being impacted by CVS at Barbara Asher Square. The Pubic Safety Committee will reach out to them to start a dialogue.
- Harlem Nights at 201 Courtland St is operating currently on a temporary license until March.
- New owner at 82 Peachtree. Neighborhood leaders and police at opening a dialogue.
- 75% of crimes in Zone 5 are from Larceny from Autos. We have to keep up and pass the word about the clean car campaign.
- Zone 5 has more directed patrols than other Zone. Zone 5 has an average of 2500 per month compared to about 600 for other Zones.